Friday, January 14, 2011

McKay's First Chapter Book!

Well, I have been wondering for a while when McKay would be old enough for chapter books. He turns 5 next month. We read books all the time and he was listening to longer and more advanced picture books, so I thought it was about time to take the plunge. I pulled a book off the shelf called Stuart Little by E. B. White. This is a good one to start with perhaps-- I thought.


Well, it worked! At times I wondered if he was really listening because he'd fidget or play with toys or the baby but I kept at it. I wondered if he was following enough to want to read the next chapter, or understand what he was hearing. Well, we've read several days now and he keeps asking for more. We even started another chapter book by E. B. White: Charlotte's Web! Funny, it just happened that way . . .



Well, I'm proud to say we are officially reading chapter books to our boys now--"boys" because Elijah and Sam are hearing them too--subconsciously!

No comments:

Post a Comment