Tuesday, September 6, 2011

McKay's NOT first day of Kindergarten

I didn't expect to feel any these feelings today.  I really did great not thinking about it all summer long--well, except when some mom friend of mine would exclaim how excited she was to send her child to his/her first day of kindergarten and how much easier life would become with at least a few extra hours a day to herself.  I can't imagine, I would say.  No, I really can't.  Then, would life really get easier without my son McKay?  He's just getting old enough to help!  I've never wavered in my desire to home school my kids--nope, never really planned on sending them to public school, yet, to be fair to everyone, I looked into the local elementary school here, which happens to be next door, a stone's throw away, and it's only for 2 1/2 hours each day.  Why don't I jump on that?  It's FREE child care!  I know, it's the hardest, yet easiest decision I've ever had to make.  Hard, because it's made on faith, and it means a lion's share of responsibility on my part.  Easy, because I know God's is pleased with our decision to home school.  Easy, because it's right, and things are falling into place.  Hard, because it's a lonely job sometimes--there's no a lot of home schoolers in my immediate area.  Easy, because I have some incredible family and mentor support.

But, no, my child is not going to his first day of Kindergarten tomorrow.  No school lunch, no new outfit, no new backpack filled with fresh new school supplies.  No apple for the teacher, no new friends and new stories.

But YES, I get to have my beautiful child with me at home for another year.  Another year to teach him right and wrong, true and false, good and bad.  Another year to strengthen relationships with God and family.  Another year to inspire honorable character and service to others.

Sad, a little.  Grateful and at peace?  Yes.

2 comments:

  1. Rebecca, What a beautiful comment on priorities! I love the notion that you have one more year to teach core principles! Academics will always come more easily to a child who has learned first to master self. The hard work it takes to learn morals helps to build a strong foundation, of which to build a strong intellect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! I am rooting for you! I want to tell you something. I was never home-schooled. I was deeply influenced by my peers, friends, teachers, and the world in my youth. My parents did an excellent job of raising me, but I know that they now wish they could have had me a little bit longer. I began college when I was seventeen - and I was gone from home. I was blessed to go to an incredible place with a wonderful education and influential people, but sometimes, I wonder, would I have been a little different if I was educated at home? I would visit home and see a little 7 year old sister baking bread alone in the kitchen like it was something normal she did every week, and I saw children who were more loving and charitable and helpful that I ever remember being. I KNOW that what you are doing is right, and I am sure that you will see the fruits of those labors longer and deeper than many parents are ever able to experience.

    ReplyDelete